Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Campus, growing on me, and Doctor Who, an amalgamation of Pirates of the Carribean and SHIT.

This post is about TV, as you may have deduced from the title. I have either been too busy or preoccupied to write anything for a while, or perhaps I just can't be arsed. You decide.

TV. I just had to write about last week's Doctor Who because it was so shit. I'm not much of a geek, but I just had this fascination with it ever since my mum took me to visit the museum in Llandudno (I was mistaken, it's Llangollen for the pedants) when I was about 8 (hmm, going to sound AWESOME however I put this...). Anyway, in this capacity, I love the sci-fi stuff, and after a great series opener (I love The Silence and I love how simultaneously confusing and exciting that episode was), I was excited about the next episode. Matt Smith could have been Jonny Depp for all I know, I don't really know what happened anyway. No plot development, barely any sci-fi and we still don't know if Amy is pregnant and we don't know who the child timelord is!! Next week's episode will be brilliant though. And full of River Song's-unravelling-goodness.

Campus, however, I am in severe danger of warming to. No, it doesn't always get it right but some of that familiar Victoria Pile warmth is creeping into it (although Matt, one of the main protaganists, is a cross between Mac and Guy from Green Wing, and I'm not entirely convinced). The romance between Nicole, an accomodation officer and pretend lesbian, and Jason, is rather endearing (if not slightly Tim-and-Dawn from the office-esque) and Imogen is just lovely and awkward - and her relentless pursuer and boyfriend, Flatpack, well, he just resembles a puppy (who is just adorable). I seem to have got thus far without mentioning Jonty, the Vice Chancellor - who I really can't warm to - he is just trying, and failing, to be wacky. Where Green Wing succeeded, you have failed, Campus: Pip Torrens trotting like a horse down a hallway is funny (it is), an entire cast breaking out into 'Eternal Flame' and dancing is not funny (about 44 1/2 minutes in, I challenge you to watch it without cringing for more than 10 seconds).

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...