Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Spuntino Review: Eating my Words

I am currently engaging in my least favourite past-time: Admitting I'm wrong. It's hard, but someone has to do it. I went to Spuntino last night, expecting to be simultaneously unimpressed and intimidated but had a lovely time. Well, that's what I get from believing everything I read in the Evening Standard, I suppose.

Anyway, once I found the all-day place (after wondering confusedly down an alley full of dodgy sex shops and peep shows), I easily claimed two seats by the bar and was offered water straight away by a waiter / barman. There are no tables, just a bar with stools all around (it is a fairly small venue). As I awaited my friend, I looked around and noted its minimalist - menus are brown paper placemats, wine is served in tumblers and food is served in tin camping crockery.

My friend arrived, we ordered wine (which came in said tumblers - well, it's something different), and then food, a selection of nibbles. The eggplant chips with fennel yoghurt were incredibly moreish, as was the baked chicory - mackerel burger didn't really taste of mackerel (a vital characteristic for me) and my friend's eton-mess-y dessert was a little claggy (strawberry to meringue / cream ratio is vital), but mostly the food was a delight. We had a couple of cocktails afterwards which went down a treat (one had egg white in, one was a Moscow Mule with a twist). The walls were now lined with people waiting for a seat (the gap inbetween the bar and wall is just large enough for a small person to walk through, but not without making awkward body contact with those standing up)

Overall, it was an enjoyable eating experience - staff were not intrusive, but accessible and friendly (and wouldn't be out of place in Artrocker), food was a little bit different (I was actually very tempted by the boiled egg and soldiers) and it looks like a fairly cool, bright place. And I had a lovely catch-up. The only downside, as you would expect from a place like this is the price - the food and drinks add up easily. Such is London life...

Picture credit: LondonEater

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...